Sunday, July 22, 2012

25 years of lessons

I turn 25 on Sunday. I've always been a big fan of birthday's. I think it is very important to look back on our lives and reflect on the blessings we've had, the challenges we've faced, and shown gratitude for all the people who have gotten us through all of it. I feel like 25 is one of those super birthdays. I'm learning how to be an adult, but in many ways I'm still a kid. Time has flown by; it's hard to believe that it has already been four years since I graduated from college.

For my birthday blog post, I decided to discuss one thing I've learned every year of my life. I accompanied it with pictures...just a note, not every picture is related to the life lesson- but most are. It was tough to find pictures from the 10-13 range. Maybe it was because I was in my "awkward" stage or maybe it's because that's when the world was just beginning to transition to digital camera's. Also, they are written a little differently, some more childlike. Anyways, this is one of those posts that is more for me and my mental health and nostalgia than for readers. But hey, maybe you'll like it too.

Age 1.


Chocolate cake is delicious. It's even better when you stick your hands in it and put it in your hair. Plus, everyone thinks this is just adorable and they don't care if you make a mess!

Age 2

Why do people keep putting a fork in my right hand? I think I prefer my left hand.

Age 3

I have really big eyes. Everyone notices, and everyone stops to tell me.  It's embarrassing and terrifying. I don't like it.

Age 4
It's really fun to have mom all to myself while my brother and sister are at school.

Age 5
All you need to make you happy is a stuffed animal, a book, and macaroni and cheese.

Age 6

It's okay to go to school when you lost your brown crayon. You will not get in trouble. But what, wait if I can't tie my shoes for gym class? Or what if I can't get my brownie uniform unbuckled to go the bathroom? There are so many things I worry about!

Age 7
Sometimes I think I can't do things; but I actually can. Like recite the First Reading at my First Communion Mass.

Age 8

If your parents give in to your begging and get your a bunny rabbit for Christmas, you should take care of it. Otherwise your dad might give it away to the random man who is repairing your basement.

Age 9
Wow, there are people in this world who spend every day helping people! That's what I want to do! Maybe I am being called to be a nun!

(I very distinctly remember watching a movie in 4th grade on nuns and being completely taken aback by their missionary work, and wondered if I was supposed to do that, too).


Age 10

Sometimes girls are going to be really mean. Sometimes they are going to tell you that you can't be on their team for the school reading challenge because they already have too many people. These girls may even have been your best friends since age 5. I don't think I want to hang out with them anymore...

Age 11


My mom and I literally had the hardest time finding a picture that we could define as "11". I took this one from my friend Jamie's facebook. It may be a little off from 11, and you can't really see my face, but it's close enough!


Lesson: Neighborhood friends are the best kind of friends to have because all it takes is a few steps down the street to have a good time.

Age 12
It's really important to be nice to people. All people. Even the people nobody else likes. No one should be bullied.

Age 13

You should really, really tell people how much you love them and spend time with people around you because sometimes they die without warning. And it really, really hurts.


Age 14
High School is so not what I thought it would be. It's 10x better.


Age 15

It can take time before you find where you fit in, but eventually you'll find it. Appreciate what you have and enjoy the laughs along the way.

Age 16



Despite all the drama, tears, and fights that high school and hormones bring, I am darn lucky to have friends to do crazy silly things with and who support me through and through. This is the time of my life.

Age 17

You are really never prepared to say goodbye to the people and the place that have made you incredibly happy for four years.

Age 18
As hard as it was to say goodbye, you now realize that everybody has to grow up and move on at some point. Promises are broken. New friends are made. Life goes on.

Age 19
Everybody has a different way of dealing with things. Some healthy, some not. We can't help people who don't want help. Also, you can't expect people to love you when you don't love yourself. Finally, the best way to make a new best friend is to approach them at a frat party and say "we're going to be future best friends".

Age 20

Your entire life can be changed by one person.

Age 21


You can come out on the other side. You can push past all the things that held you back. You just have to keep stepping forward instead of backwards.

Age 22
Sometimes it takes a year of doing service in Detroit for you to realize how beautiful life can be. How lucky you are. How to fill your spirit. How to talk to people. How to live simply. And, most importantly, that you were placed on this earth for a reason.

Age 23

Your dream doesn't always work out. But that doesn't mean your world falls apart. It simply means you must trust God. He is leading you down the path you need to be walking. Even if that means walking a 1/2 marathon.

Age 24

Each and every single one of us has a story. It is our duty, as humans, to help each other through the pages of our story. We must take care of each other. We must listen to each other. We must realize that life is not all about us and that we are called to LOVE and SERVE one another!

That's it folks. I hope you enjoyed my trip down memory lane.

6 comments:

furmurr said... Add Reply

I have loved being your mom for 25 years and hope to see you through the next 25. Maybe I should reword that to say that you will help me through the next 25 years....
Hey, let's do it together.


Love,
Mom
Momma
Mommy

Anonymous said... Add Reply

Very nice..loved the pictures and your insights. Very proud of you! Dad

Shari said... Add Reply

This is my all-time favorite blog post of yours! It was so fun to get a glimpse into your life, to see the pictures and read about your lessons learned. I say this frequently, but so many people could learn so much from you.

Happy (early) Birthday!! :)

Anonymous said... Add Reply

Love this blog Meggie!!!! I've enjoyed watching you turn into a beautiful young lady these past 5 years. So glad to see the first 20.

You are a Very Special Person, Megan, and I am so blessed to be a part of your life!

will knott said... Add Reply

This is perfectly you, and you are damned near perfectly

furmurr said... Add Reply

I love Megan!