Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Moving

I'm moving.

And it's happening very fast.

I wasn't necessarily planning on moving. My plan originally was that my current two roommates were going to move out and a friend of mine, Amy,  was going to move in. We pretty much had it settled that she would move in mid next month. But things changed and without going into the details of everything, I have to be out by the end of the month.

So, the first step was to find a place to live. Which wasn't terribly easy. I spent hours and hours looking for houses and apartments over the weekend, and I visited several. None of them seemed like a good fit. They were overpriced for their size or in a bad location. Until I visited a condo on Monday night.

The ad on Craigslist made the place seem magical- both Amy and I were texting each other about it saying we couldn't stop staring at it. I was instantly imagining all the dinner parties we would have- and I don't even have dinner parties. I set up an appointment to view the condo on Monday evening. The place is gorgeous and just as it appeared in the pictures. It's spacious, it's in good condition and it makes me feel fancy. I like feeling fancy.

I called my parents right after to tell them how great it was. One of the big perks for me (and there were several) was how big it was. More sq footage than the house I am in now, plus two full bathrooms. Two FULL baths? Sign me up!

Amy and I immediately sent in our application and necessary documents, and within a few days, everything was official.

So now, I have to pack up the house that I have lived in for three years and get ready to settle in to a new place. And with that comes all the extras- changing utilities over, finding a few new pieces of furniture, sharing weird quirks about each other with my new roommate, etc. Funny thing is, Amy and I have known each other since we were 5. We were best friends for most of my childhood. But as we went to different high schools and had different adult lives, that changed- she's still an awesome person, I just don't go to her house to play dolls anymore. BUT NOW I WILL BECAUSE SHE WILL BE IN MY HOUSE.

In a way, I am sad to be leaving my house. I've been here for three years and a whole lot has happened in those three years. I told Sam "this isn't technically the house I grew up in, but it's the house where I feel like I really grew up". I did. I became an adult in this house. I learned how to make some difficult decisions. I will also miss the location and the ability to walk to get a bagel or to the fancy grocery store or to my gym.

I'm also excited, though. This new place feels, so far, like the right move. It's closeby to my parents house and to some of the major roads around here. We will have access to a pool and a clubhouse. Traffic might be more of an issue but the community itself seems quiet. 

So, I'm excited.  A little overwhelmed when I look around and see all that I have to pack up, but still excited. I can begin 2015 with this new adventure. 

No comments: