Sunday, January 11, 2015

Support.

Some of you may remember that three years ago, the St. Hugo Community lost a very dear friend, Susan, in a tragic event. It still haunts me, and on the anniversary of her death I always feel it deep in my gut.

As the anniversary date was approaching this year, I wanted to try to plan something for us to come together and remember our friend. Instead of trying to organize a big memorial service, I simply invited others to join me at Church on Saturday evening. It was very laid back, no pressure, just an invitation. The best part? People came.

There I was, sitting in between my mom and Tom, surrounded by other families who loved Susan as much as I did. There was no mention of her name at Church, there was no dedication- but we knew. And sitting there together, worshiping and reflecting, was pretty darn special.

When Mass was let out I felt very fulfilled. People were coming up to me and my mom and thanking us for organizing it. There was no need to thank-it was simply an invitation.

And that got me thinking how simple, yet important, an invitation can be. Making someone feel welcome, embracing them, can make all the difference. It doesn't have to be fancy or planned, just inviting someone to sit with us or to join us is special.

I'll admit: I don't get out much. My main social circle includes Tom, Sam, and my parents. But at the same time, I know that I am never alone. I know that I have support from my family, my church, old friends, old coworkers, and new coworkers. I know that if something tragic happened to me, people would jump in to help. That feeling is so wonderful and a very good one to have when you are a 27 year old young professional who has a lot of decisions to make in her daily life- everything from where am I going to live to what is the best yoga studio. I seek advice from my friends and family a lot, and there's always someone jumping in to help.

It's important to build and maintain those relationships. We never know when we will need someone-or when they will need us. Hold on to those people, even if it's just the occasional e-mail or message on Facebook. What I have learned in life is that while there are bad people out there, people who we connect with are special, and we connected with them for a reason. Know the power of that connection, and cherish it.

I should also mention that I certainly hope the people in my life feel supported by me. I know I'm busy and that weight loss has been my main focus the past year and a half, but I am always willing to listen and to help solve problems when I can.

Have a great week, friends.

1 comment:

Shari said... Add Reply

I love this. It's easy to focus on the people who let us down, but so much more important to put an emphasis on the ones who don't -- the ones who ARE there to support us. Having those people in our lives is a gift!