Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Still Working on my Masterpiece

Good news, friends. Over the last few weeks I have had a pretty big drop and I am now sitting at 110 lbs lost. I am keeping my fingers crossed very tightly that the trend of losing continues, and that I don't get stuck or gain again. But if I do, it will just be another bump in the road and I will push harder.

I re-evaluated some things to figure out why I wasn't losing. I changed some habits- I cut out coffee again, I'm REALLY careful about my sugar intake, and I cut back on alcohol. These things, combined with really focusing to reach my "calories burned" goal each week, seem to have helped. So far, at least.

Today I wanted to talk about something a little different than most of my other posts. I want to preface it by saying that I truly believe most people who talk about my weight loss and who offer tips, suggestions, advice, etc are being very genuine and very sweet. In other words? They mean well. Yet, sometimes the way statements are delivered stings a little.

I've had all kinds of things said to me. From "Don't get too thin!" to "I didn't realize how fat you were before!". Both of these are slightly offensive, but I sort of laugh them off. But there's one thing that people say that I can't always shake off.

"When are you going to get a tummy tuck?"

I get where this question is coming from. I really do. Almost anyone who drops a significant amount of weight has an issue with sagging/extra skin. Lots of those people have surgery.

But that's their choice. If that's what they want to do, they should do it.

But I probably won't. And that's my choice.

There are a lot of reasons behind that decision, and I don't feel like I have to share them to justify it. More importantly, let's talk about how it feels when someone asks that question. It feels like a slap in the face. Like after all my hard work in the last two years, after losing 110 lbs, counting every calories I consume- like after all that, it's not good enough. For some people, at least.

I'm not saying I expect everyone to be singing my praises and telling me I look good- but I also don't want to put my body to shame when I've just learned to start loving my body.

I know that I have some rolls on my tummy where the skin is starting to droop and that it can be off putting. I try my damnedest to wear clothes that hide it. I'm already self conscious about it but I have been learning to live with it and embrace it. I'm actively attempting to get rid of it by myself- by drinking green tea, cutting sugar, doing core exercises and other tricks I am picking up.

Basically, my point of this post is to once again ask that all of us need to take a minute to think before we speak. Consider if your words could be harmful.

I will never be perfect. None of us will ever be perfect. Perfection is not my goal. I don't know why anyone else seems to think that it should be.




1 comment:

Shari said... Add Reply

Perfection is overrated. It's so much better to be a kind, dedicated, strong person -- and that's exactly what you are. So proud of you for all the hard work you've put in. Don't let anyone's words, however well-intentioned, make you forget about all you've accomplished!